Mountain pies, pudgy pies, or hobo pies – whatever you call them, they are always delicious when you are camping and having a campfire in the forest or in the mountain. With the emergence of pie irons, having hot delicious food in a brief or long camping has become easier. Let’s go through some of the easiest pie iron recipes to have delicious snacks whether you are in a camp or at your home.
What is a Pie Iron?
A pie iron is also known as a sandwich toaster, waffle iron, pudgy pie iron, or toastie iron. It is a cooking appliance that has two iron shells made of cast iron or aluminum. It also has long handles that help to hold it in the campfire.
Pie irons can be used to heat, toast and seal two pieces of bread to make a sandwich. You can also make different kinds of pies with it. Sometimes it is also called a “toastie” because it can also be used to toast bread.
Easiest Pie Iron Recipes
You might be wondering what recipes you can try in a pie iron. Every tool especially every cooking appliance has limitations in its function. But with this pie iron, you can try all the recipes which can be fitted in the iron pot.
1. Ham and Cheese Sandwich
The classic ham and cheese sandwich can be made by executing the easiest pie iron recipes. Here is the easiest recipe to make ham and cheese sandwich:
- Sliced deli meat of ham, roasted beef
- 2-3 slices of cheese
- Red hot sauce
- Honey mustard
- Apply cooking spray and butter inside both sides of the pie iron.
- Spread a little bit of red hot sauce and mustardon one slice of bread
- Add the bread slice to the pie iron.
- Add a little amount of meat and one slice of cheese to it.
- Now, add the avocado or a tomato to it.
- Again, add two more slices of cheese. You can also add one slice if you want less fat in your sandwich.
- Spread mayonnaise on another piece of bread and place it on the other part of the pie iron.
- Put the pie iron into the fire for 4 to 5 minutes or until the sandwich becomes golden brown.
- Now, you have your Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Don’t use bread in your pie iron all the time. Making tortillas in it can also be a good alternative. In addition, you may customize the following recipe of the quesadillas as per your taste.
- 16-ounce can of refried beans
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
- Cooking spray
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
- Spray cooking spray inside both sides of the pie iron.
- Then put a tortilla on both
- Place the ferried beans at the center of the tortillas.
- Add shredded cheese to both
- Close the pie iron and cut off the edges of the tortillas.
- Put the pie iron into the fire and turn it frequently.
- Put it there until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is toasted.
- Top the quesadillas with salsa to serve.
3. Pudgy Pies
Pudgy pies are easy to make and delicious to eat. Follow the simplest recipe to make a pudgy pie with the pie iron.
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices of cinnamon swirl bread
- 4 graham cracker squares(large crushed crumbs)
- Half cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Lightly apply the cooking spray inside the pie iron.
- Put one slice of bread in the pie iron.
- Add 2 tablespoons full of chocolate chips, one-fourth of the graham cracker crumbs, and 1/4 cup of mini marshmallows to it.
- Place another slice of bread on the other side of the pie iron and close it.
- Cut off the excess bread with your fingers.
- Put the pie iron into the fire and hold for 1 minute.
- Flip the side and hold for 1 minute more.
- Wait for the pie iron to cool down and then open it carefully to tip the pudgy pie onto a plate.
4. Pudgy Pecan Pie
Pecan is an excellent thing to add to your pudgy pie. It will make your pudgy pie more delicious and healthy. You can this pie using a simple pie iron recipe.
- ¼ cup of pecans (toasted and chopped)
- 2 tbsp of heavy cream, maple syrup, and brown sugar each
- 1/2 tbsp of molasses
- 1 tbsp full of butter
- ½ egg yolk (lightly whipped)
- 1 teaspoon full of cornstarch
- 2 slices of bread(buttered on one side)
- Pinch of salt
- Take a small saucepan.
- Put the maple syrup, heavy cream, brown sugar, and molasses on the pan and heat it for about 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Wait for the pan and the mixture to cool down.
- After it becomes cool, whisk the salt, butter, and half of the egg yolk into the syrup mixture.
- Add your pecans to the syrup and set aside.
- Butter the inside of the clam shells of the pie iron and put butter on a slice of bread.
- Place the slice of bread in the pie iron.
- Put a little amount of pecan and syrup mixture at the center of the bread.
- Close the iron pie and put it in the fire.
- Hold and flip it in the fire for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, you can have the delicious pudgy pecan pie.
5. Cinnamon Roll Waffles
Cinnamon roll waffles are good snacks to eat at home and in the camps. The following recipe for this snack is for making 6 cinnamon roll waffles at a time.
- Half packet yeast
- ¼ cup of sugar
- A half cup of warm milk
- Half cup packed light brown sugar
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese (soft)
- One cup of powdered sugar
- 10 tablespoons full of butter(keep it divided)
- One egg
- Half teaspoon salt
- Two cups all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Mix yeast, warm milk, and the sugar in a big mixing bowl. Keep it there for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons full of butter, one egg, and salt to it.
- Then mix the flour with it to make the dough.
- Rub on the dough on a lightly floured plate or surfaceto form a ball.
- Place the ball of dough in a cool place or a refrigerator.
- Take the dough ball and tightly roll it up into a log.
- When the dough becomes thin, cut it into 6 pieces.
- Preheat the pie iron in the fire for a few minutes.
- When the pie iron is hot, spray the cooking spray inside it.
- Now, place one cinnamon roll inside the pie iron and then close it.
- Put it in the fire and hold it there turning and checking it frequently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, your cinnamon roll waffle is ready.
- Follow the same procedure to make the other 5 cinnamon roll waffles.
6. Breakfast Sandwich
The pie iron is a great cooking appliance for making simple egg sandwiches for breakfast. The pie iron recipes are easy to implement for making a breakfast sandwich. Let’s see how the simplest recipe works:
- Butter/cooking spray
- 12 slices of sandwich bread
- 4 eggs
- 6 pre-cooked sausages
- 6 slices of sharp cheddar
- Preheat the pie iron over the fire.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs.
- Apply cooking spray or butter inside the pie iron.
- Place a slice of bread in each side of pie iron. Squeeze down at the middle of the bread for making room to add other ingredients.
- Pour egg in the squeezed slices of bread but don’t overfill.
- Add cheese to it.
- Put a sausage on the other slice of bread.
- Close the pie iron and place it into the fire.
- Hold the pie iron and turn it frequently until the cheese is melted and the egg is set.
- Carefully remove the sandwich from the pie iron when it becomes cool.
7. Egg in a Nest Mountain Pie
This recipe might provide you with a perfect breakfast when you are camping on the mountain or trying to make a quick breakfast before going to work. Let’s see how to make it:
- One tablespoon full of butter or oil
- Half cup hash-brown potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- A pinch of paprika
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- One egg
- Apply cooking spray or butter inside the pie iron.
- Add the potatoes and mix onion powder with them.
- Put them in the pie iron.
- Put and hold the pie iron into the fire until the potatoes begin to be brown.
- Use a fork to make a ‘nest’ into the potatoes.
- Break an egg into the ‘nest’ and then close the pie iron to put it into the fire again.
- Hold the pie iron in the fire for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now, you have the eggs in a nest mountain pie.
Tips to Use the Pie Iron Properly
Using the pie iron might seem incredibly easy as it has no complex functionalities at all. Yes, it’s easy but there are some tips that can make your experience of using the pie iron a satisfying one. Let’s see how to use the pie iron properly:
- It’s always a good practice to add some cooking spray to the inside of your pie iron before cooking.
- You can also put butter instead of cooking spray; it will make your pies look more toasty and crunchy.
- If it’s new, you must apply the cooking spray and heat it in the fire for a minute.
- Try to spread the cooking spray evenly in both
- After cooling down, wipe it with a clean piece of cloth.
- Repeat the whole process mentioned above for a few times if your pie iron is new.
- A good seasoning coating on your pie iron can save you from a lot of hazards.
- Remember to clean the pie iron after each cooking. Otherwise, it won’t last long.
- Always try to close the pie iron as tightly as possible.
- Be careful when you are putting it into the fire. Don’t ever touch the pie iron when it’s hot.
- Immediately open the pie iron using the handles as soon as you feel that the food is well-cooked.
- Clean the burnt part of the pie iron using a piece of clean damp cloth.
Whether you buy the Rome Industries’ pie irons which are made of pre-seasoned cast iron or the Toas-Tite’s pie irons made of sturdy cast aluminum, you can always try many pie iron recipes for having a quick meal whenever you want. The pie iron makes the job of cooking in the outdoor a lot easier and these simple pie iron recipes will make your camping experience more fun.